Layer Wood £75,000 Freehold
- Cawston, Aylsham , Norfolk
- about 4 ½ acres
- East Anglia
Silver birch twixt a stream
View in from eastern boundary.
View along western boundary.
Watercress growing in the stream.
Track entrance off B1145.
Track leading to wood entrance.
Set deep within the peaceful setting of rural Norfolk, Layer Wood is a fascinating haven in which both wildlife and the woodland enthusiast can thrive. If approached sensitively then the enjoyment of the wood can be for the benefit of both. There is plenty here that can be done to enhance the habitat for wildlife from the simple provision of bird and bat boxes to the management of the tree cover and ground flora.
The purchasers of the woodland will be asked to enter into a covenant to ensure the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of adjoining woodlands and meadows.
There is a delightful mix of tree types within the wood. A variety of species ranging from pine, spruce holly and birch, planting in the recent past has created a woodland of varying stages of maturity. In this way there is plenty of scope here to steward this wood through to the next stage of maturity.
The rural setting of Layer Wood provides a home to a variety of wildlife that forages across surrounding open fields and shelters in the privacy of the wood during the daylight hours.
Otters are known to inhabit the larger area of woodland that surrounds Layer Wood.
Set on a gentle slope, the wood is well stocked with mature trees and understory of holly. A woodland ride along the southern boundary along with a diagonal ride provide excellent access.
A seasonal stream crosses the north western corner of the woodland and is often visited by wildlife.
Located in the central section of the wood is a bench, whilst visiting please take advantage of this and sit for a while to take in the sounds and atmosphere of this beautiful woodland.
Access, tracks and footpaths
The woodland is accessed via an excellent stoned track. A number of internal tracks cross the woodland. A footpath along the north eastern edge of the woodland provides access to nearby Marriots way.
Layer Wood provides the opportunity for a new owner to engage in family forestry. Managing a mixed woodland and learning bushcraft skills is a great way to escape modern life. Camping or building woodland hides and all sorts of other outdoor activities can be done here.
Local area and history
The woodland is named after local nobel man Christopher Layer who was born in 1683, He was a militant Jacobite and supporter of Prince Charles Edward Stuart, the 'Young Pretender'. He was tried for high treason and hanged at Tyburn in London in 1723. This part of Norfolk is made up of large country estates steeped in history from deadly duels to family fortunes made and lost with the changes of power.
The boundaries are indicated by Lime green paint markings on trees and boundary stakes. The southern boundary is the northern edge of the ride. The western northern boundaries are a line of stakes. and the eastern boundary is the wood edge.
Find this wood
- OS Landranger: OS No. 238
- Grid ref: TG 165 255
- Nearest post code: NR11 6UN
- GPS coordinates: 52.7839, 1.20963
- Just south of Aylsham from the A140 head west on the B1145 (Cawston Road.) towards Cawston.
- After 1 mile you pass Woodgate Nursery.
- After another mile you will see a sign for Mermaid River pools and Warren House.
- A wood will be on your right.
- At the end of the wood turn sharp right onto a farm track.
- Proceed along the farm track for 450 metres.
- A double metal gate will be in front of you. Park to the wood side of the track ensuring you do not block the track.
- Carefully climb over the hinged end of the gate. Or climb over the bank and follow the stone track in front of you.
- Follow the stoned track to the cross roads 100 metres from the gate.
- Turn right at the cross roads and head east passed three tracks on your left, after about 400 metres a stone track is on your left go past this and carry straight on.
- After a further 150 metres you will come to the wood entrance on your left.
- Satnav/GPS note: the postcode NR11 6UN is for the point shown by the red dot on the location map.
Please note this wood is owned by woodlands.co.uk.
Our regional managers are often out working in our woodlands, so if you email an offer and want to be sure it has been received, please phone our manager on their mobile phone. The first offer at the stated price which is accepted, whether by phone or email, has priority.
Please take care when viewing as the great outdoors can contain unexpected hazards and woodlands are no exception. You should exercise common sense and caution, such as wearing appropriate footwear and avoiding visiting during high winds.
These particulars are for guidance only and, though believed to be correct, do not form part of any contract. Woodland Investment Management Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.