SOLD: Sotterley Wood £53,000 Freehold
- Shaddingfield, Beccles, Suffolk
- nearly 4 acres
- East Anglia
pheasant and chicks
ancient hornbeam coppice
munjac slots (deer tracks)
view to field
Sotterley Wood forms the south western corner of a much larger area of woodland known as Titsall Wood. Ideally located in a picturesque location to the west of the village of Shadingfield with good access via a long stoned farm track suitable for most vehicles.
It is rare to find woodlands in the south east of England that feel really secluded and away from the busy world that encroaches everyday life. Sotterley Wood offers that rare piece of tranquillity.
A new track covering has been installed into this part of the wood for vehicle access in dryer months. For the wetter months a car parking area has been allocated by the main entrance, this will help preserve the track for future use.
The woodland is predominantly hornbeam coppice, it has been deemed such a good example of Suffolk hornbeam coppice it has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest and any future owner has the advantage of not only the protection this offers but free advice and guidance from Natural England. Adding variety are a number of ancient oaks and ash trees.
Open fields lie to the south and west ensuring the woodland is filled with light. The edge of the woodland has a thick understorey providing cover not only for wildlife but also woodlanders. The area behind the entrance is more clear and offers plenty of places to set up camp.
A vast array of wildlife, from woodcocks and pheasants to hares and deer share this habitat. Amazingly three species of deer were seen within the woodland in one day, Chinese water deer, muntjac and fallow.
A bench has been placed near the top of a gentle slope that leads down to a seasonal stream; whilst visiting please do take some time to sit here and ponder, close your eyes and listen to the wonderful sounds of the woodland.
The nearby village of Shadingfield has an excellent farm shop and a number of pubs are within cycling distance. The woodland derived its name from the local village of Sotterley. It is believed that the wood may have once formed part of Sotterley Estate.
Located about one hour's drive from both Ipswich and Norwich and being only a short drive from the town of Beccles the woodland is easily accessible offering anyone a perfect rural retreat from the hustle of modern day living.
Particulars and plans were prepared by our local manager, Matt Marples
The purchasers of the woodland will be asked to enter into a covenant to ensure the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of adjoining woodlands and meadows.
The boundaries are indicated by lime green markings on trees and boundary stakes. The south eastern and northern boundaries are marked with stakes. The western and southern is the wood edge and ditch.
Find this wood
This wood is now sold, please do not visit the wood without the permission of the owner.
- OS Landranger: OS No. 156
- Grid ref: TM 424 835
- Nearest post code: NR34 8DF
- GPS coordinates: 52.3965, 1.56232
- From the centre of Beccles proceed south on the A145.
- Pass through the village of Shaddingfield.
- Go past " Farm shop" on the left of the road.
- After 300 metres turn right onto the concrete sugar beet pad by a sign saying North Green only.
- Proceed along this track for just over a mile.
- Turn right just after Wood Farm and follow this track towards the wood which is directly infront of you.
- Continue on the track to get to the entrance.
- Follow the track around the woodland and just before a bridge turn right.
- Park to the side of the metal gate with our www.woodlands.co.uk for sale sign on it. Walk around the side of the gate.
- Follow the track for 200 metres and turn right back up the hill for 200 metres.
- Turn right at the crossroads and follow the track for just over 200 metres turning left at the end.
- The wood entrance is on the right after 60 metres.
- If travelling from the A12 take the A145 from Blythburgh to Beccles.
- Go through the village of Brampton and upon exiting the village you will see some farm buildings after a mile on the left.
- 100 metres past the buildings take the track on the left and follow the directions as above.
- Satnav/GPS note: the postcode NR34 8DF is for the point shown by the red dot on the location map.
Please note this wood is owned by woodlands.co.uk.
Our regional managers are often out working in our woodlands, so if you email an offer and want to be sure it has been received, please phone our manager on their mobile phone. The first offer at the stated price which is accepted, whether by phone or email, has priority.
Please take care when viewing as the great outdoors can contain unexpected hazards and woodlands are no exception. You should exercise common sense and caution, such as wearing appropriate footwear and avoiding visiting during high winds.
These particulars are for guidance only and, though believed to be correct, do not form part of any contract. Woodland Investment Management Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.