SOLD: Lower Moorcroft Wood £149,000 Freehold
- Sevenoaks Weald, near Sevenoaks, Kent
- 8 ¼ acres
- South East England
The east pond
A private walk track leads to the bench
The view to the north of the wood
Mature oaks and holly
The west pond
The walk track through the conifer
The ride stop entrance to Lower Moorcroft Wood
The middle pond
Lower Moorcroft Wood on the right
The ride running north-south in the east of the wood
Lower Moorcroft Wood is an incredibly characterful wood. Unusually shaped, it features three ponds, a wide variety of species and an abundance of wildlife. The wood enjoys splendid views over the fields to the north and south. Tucked away from the country lane it offers a peaceful and private retreat from urban life. The wood itself is flat and is easily accessible and provides the perfect place for those wishing to camp privately or to learn all about managing a wood for wildlife.
The purchasers of the woodland will be asked to enter into a covenant to ensure the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of adjoining woodlands and meadows.
The majority of the wood is coppice with standards. This includes mature veteran oak standards with hazel, ash, and hornbeam coppice. Pioneer species such as silver birch and goat willow are establishing themselves in areas where the canopy breaks. Holly, crab apple, wild cherry, beech and field maple are also found in the wood.
A smaller compartment (approx. 1.2 acres) is an intimate mix of mature oak and Norway spruce with semi-mature larch, ash, hornbeam, and silver birch in places, with a hazel understory throughout.
Natural England designates most of the Lower Moorcroft Wood as an Ancient Semi Natural Woodlands (ASNW). This land has been wooded since at least 1600AD. Ancient Woodland indicators including numerous ferns and bluebells are found in the wood.
Great spotted and green woodpeckers, nuthatch, buzzards, and tawny owls have all been recorded within 2km of the wood.
- Three ponds
- Natural clearing near the middle pond, providing a great spot for private camping.
- Stunning views over open countryside to the north and south
- Located near to a fantastic network of local public footpaths
Access, tracks and footpaths
The main entrance to Moorcroft Wood is a double metal gate off Hale Oak Road. The entrance to Lower Moorcroft Wood itself is via a stoned track leading to the ride stop entrance. Here owners are able to drive in and park a car within the wood. There is a generous timber storage area which is shared with the other owners inside the main entrance gates.
There are no public rights of way within the wood itself.
Rights and covenants
The wood is sold with the sporting rights.
Local area and history
Lower Moorcroft Wood is within the Kent Downs Area of Natural Outstanding Beauty. It is less than 2 miles from the village of Sevenoaks Weald (and 5 miles from Sevenoaks) and under 8 miles from Junction 8 of the M25 / A21.
Bough Beech Reservoir is walkable from the wood which is a great place for birdwatching - over 230 species have been recorded here since 1970. Hever Castle is approx. 5 miles away – this wonderful 13th century castle has 125 acres of stunning grounds to explore.
The village of Sevenoaks Weald is accessible on foot from the wood, where you will find a local pub serving award winning cask ales windmillsevenoaksweald.com.
The boundaries of the wood are indicated with BLUE markings.
Find this wood
This wood is now sold, please do not visit the wood without the permission of the owner.
- OS Landranger: OS No. 188
- Grid ref: TQ 521 493
- Nearest post code: TN14 6NQ
- GPS coordinates: 51.2227, 0.177315
Please note, for satellite navigation, use the post code TN14 6NQ. This will take you to within approx. 0.1 miles of Moorcroft Wood as shown by the red dot on the map. Coordinates to the main entrance gate leading to Lower Moorcroft Wood (off Hale Oak Road) are: N51.222404, E0.180744. To find the wood follow the instructions below.
- From the M25 Junction 5 head south on the A21.
- Take the third exit signposted ‘Sevenoaks A225, Hildenboro’ B245 and S’oaks Weald’ and then take the 4th exit at the roundabout signposted to Sevenoaks Weald.
- Drive through the village of Sevenoaks Weald following Windmill Road past the pub on the left, onto Long Barn Road with the primary school on the right.
- Take the first left once you leave the village onto the Hale Oak Road and continue approx. 1 mile.
- The entrance to Moorcroft Woods is on the right-hand side. Park at the metal gates on the right-hand side with ‘Woodlands for Sale’ sign on it (being sure to leave one gate accessible).
- Walk straight ahead up the track and after approx. 200 meters you will find a single metal gate with a pedestrian gate to the left-hand side. Walk through this gate and continue straight on and you will see the ride stop entrance and sign for Lower Moorcroft Wood on the left with its boundaries marked in BLUE.
- Sat Nav note: The post code TN14 6NQ is for the point shown on the location map by the red dot which is a little further south along the Hale Oak Road.
Please note this wood is owned by woodlands.co.uk.
Our regional managers are often out working in our woodlands, so if you email an offer and want to be sure it has been received, please phone our manager on their mobile phone. The first offer at the stated price which is accepted, whether by phone or email, has priority.
Please take care when viewing as the great outdoors can contain unexpected hazards and woodlands are no exception. You should exercise common sense and caution, such as wearing appropriate footwear and avoiding visiting during high winds.
These particulars are for guidance only and, though believed to be correct, do not form part of any contract. Woodland Investment Management Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.