Woods for sale for conservation and enjoyment

You are here: Home > Becoming a woodland owner > Trees & Tree Felling

Trees & Tree Felling

The Forestry Commission is the relevant authority in England and Scotland, and in Wales it is Natural Resources Wales. Unless your wood is covered by a Tree Preservation Order, or lies in a Site of Special Scientific Interest, the Forestry Commission rules allow most of the routine cutting you are likely to want to do. In particular, they only count as trees those that are above 8cm diameter at breast height. Beyond that, you can without permission cut five cubic metres of timber in any one calendar quarter for private use. The volume of a tree can be calculated from its diameter and height (generally ignoring the branches); the Forestry Commission have a summary table to show how many trees represent 5 cubic meters. So for example, every three months you would be able to cut down 70 trees that are 4m tall and of 15cm diameter in the middle, giving plenty of scope for management and glade/path creation. It is now generally seen as desirable to have some glades or clearings in woodland so you will not have problems if your cutting is sensible.

If you want or need to fell more trees, you will need a felling licence from the Forestry Commission. This is issued by your local FC officer, who will probably meet you in your wood to discuss it, and also possibly a management plan covering the whole of your wood for several years. Grants may be available if you need to do a substantial amount of work. In our experience the Forestry Commission is an extremely helpful organisation and the individuals at the local office are keen to help and are increasingly promoting objectives that do not just relate to growing timber. There is no charge for their visit or advice or for the felling licence. For a great deal more information, see the Forestry Commission advice on tree felling.

New Woodland for Sale Email Updates

Select regions:

(Our email policy)

Related Blog Articles

Woody tissues : bark

Wood is such a familiar material that we tend to take it for granted.  In general, it is a long lasting, fibrous material that is found within the roots,... Read more

Fungi, mycorrhizae, truffles

The Fungi are a very diverse group of organisms, ranging from the true fungi (Mycota), which includes the mushrooms and toadstools, and the Oomycota (which... Read more

How old is that tree ?

How often does the question arise "how old is that tree"?  Experienced foresters can often look at a tree and make a good estimate, based on trees they... Read more

blog rss feed

Latest Blog Articles

Natural Resources Wales

Natural Resources Wales Today (2 April 2013) saw the first day of operation of a new Welsh Government Sponsored Body, Natural... Read more

Pine cones – an activity

Pine cones - an activity Half term is coming, and perhaps you will be visiting your own wood  or walking through woodland during... Read more

Introducing woodlandsTV videos on LICHENS

Introducing woodlandsTV videos on LICHENS In winter, woods can seem a bit ‘naked’ and empty. Trees and shrubs have entered into a dormant state... Read more

More articles from the blog »

© 2021 Woodland Investment Management Ltd | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact us | Blog powered by WordPress